"The future is not a destination, it is a never ending path of possibilities."

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Manta Lovin

Last weekend I embarked on a mini adventure to the "Big Island" of Hawaii for a special encounter with manta rays. There is a unique feast, known as the plankton buffet, that occurs once the sun sets and an average of about 20 mantas make an appearance where they feed on the plankton. In short, lights are set up amongst the dive site which attract the plankton and ultimately attract the mantas. My friends and I signed up for a twilight dive and the infamous manta night dive. Typically, the mantas don't show up until it's night, but we lucked out on our first dive with a surprise from a few winged visitors... 

Garden Eel Cove: Max Depth - 54ft. Dive Time - 58min.



The beautiful mantas we saw throughout the evening had a an average wingspan between 10 - 14ft . Above is picture of my friend Mary Claire seeing one for the first time.  




Currently, I am working on editing the video footage from our night dive featuring the plankton buffet and hungry circling mantas. Visit my Instagram for a short clip and I should have the complete video up soon!

Enjoyed the friendly hospitality of Big Island Divers. Pictures taken with my GoPro Hero3+. 



No comments:

Post a Comment